Sunday, April 19, 2015

Blog Post #13

What Did I Leave Out? 

http://www.newberry.edu/campuslife/activitiesorganizations/checkimhere.aspxIf I were to add anything to EDM 310, I would more than likely add a lesson in which students did their research on their specific subject area to find an app in the Apple App store OR the Google App store (I think that's what it's called, forgive me if it's not because I use only Apple products!) and make a video of them using the app to the best of their ability. With my subject area belonging to grades 7-12 in science, I'd find an app that's appropriate for my future classroom. I truly hope to be in either a Chemistry or Physics classroom because those are the subjects that I'm the most compassionate about! 

There are a few apps that I tested out that didn't work because they were either too little information or they wanted money in return for the use of it. In a perfect world, we'd be able to use the apps for little to no cost at all but sadly, there are apps that cost entirely too much money to use! Like I previously stated, Chemistry/Physics are the two subjects that I'm very interested in teaching one day. On the Apple app store, I found Chem Pro, Chemistry Tutor In Your Pocket an app that is extremely helpful to students who are in AP Chemistry or are in an Intro to Chemistry class in college. The app itself is free but there are hidden charges so just be aware if you plan on trying it out! There are many other useful apps when it comes to practicing Chemistry and Khan Academy is sure to help you out if you're struggling or just want some extra help. Many of the Physics apps do cost money but SimPhysics is an app full of games relating to the physics behind roller coasters, cannons, cars, lenses, mirrors, and so much more! If you're interested in Physics at all, give it a shot because it'll help you brush up on your skills and give you insight into what Physics really is.

Additionally, I did more research on which blogs, videos, and websites would be most useful in compiling an answer to the driving question that's provided (when it's related to science, that is). With many classrooms adopting a "flipped classroom," I found this video from a teacher that provides her students/parents of students with an introduction to how her flipped Chemistry classroom will work (Introduction to My Flipped Classroom); she's thorough and that's helpful because many videos are just a complete overview and forget to get a little in-depth. The website Science Fix provides science enthusiasts/teachers with videos about all things science. From what I can see, it's not specifically centered around one subject because it provides many videos that anyone can learn!

Teach, Brian. Teach belongs to a Physics teacher and he provides the internet world a way into his classroom so that they can know exactly what's going on and hopefully people can learn from his teaching styles! Another Physics teacher's blog, SuperFly Physics, is even more in-depth than the last teacher's blog that I provided a link for; ideally, this blog would be the blog that I would model after because it's super in-depth and has a ton of information that I could derive some inspiration from!

http://www.slideshare.net/gurustip/one-direction-do-physicsWhen pop culture is brought into a classroom, it can either be misleading or it can be helpful (obviously) and I stumbled across this teacher's lesson, One Direction Do Physics, and my mind is truly blown! If you watch any television or use any social media outlet, you'll see that One Direction is an internationally known band and if this lesson can get the attention of students, then so be it because I think it'd be fun to incorporate these kinds of things into lessons! When a student is familiar with the pop culture reference, it's more likely to 'stick' in their brain and they'll be able to apply it for future use.


For my questions, I'd probably ask:
1. What did you learn from these resources given and how will it apply for use in your future classroom?
2. What application did you find in the App store? How can you incorporate into your curriculum? 
3. Do you think it's important to use technology in a science classroom? Why or why not? 

https://evanescence3lithium.wordpress.com/category/chemistry-jokes/page/3/I'm looking forward to having my own classroom and if I had to pick, I would definitely choose Chemistry because it's always been a favorite subject of mine! When you're passionate about something, it surely shows so go show the world what you're capable of! (:

1 comment: