Sunday, January 18, 2015

Blog Assignment #1

What about EDM 310?

"Frustrated with Technology"

When I realized that I had to enroll in this course before candidacy, I panicked because I have heard such horror stories about what this class will be like. "It's frustrating to have to learn on my own," or "Teachers teach and they don't need technology to do it," are just a couple of phrases that I heard from friends who have previously taken this course. Although they did a mediocre job in the class, they knew that it was their fault that they didn't apply as much time as they needed to apply to succeed. I completely disagree with the statement about technology because I truly believe that technology is the wave of the future (that we're currently in) and being technologically literate is highly important due to the fact that (in my opinion) it makes teaching material fun and interactive. My biggest fear about this class is getting nine hours or more in per week with the demanding schedule that I already have! It makes my life easier to completely map out my week, even the hours in the days, to manage my time correctly. I love how creativity is emphasized because not everyone thinks alike and to me, that's enough to keep me captivated. The idea of eliminating "burp back" education gave me refreshing thoughts because although I already hold a Bachelor's degree, I'll be honest and say that a lot of those classes were not like what this one will offer because it was a lot of regurgitated information that wasn't applicable to me or my degree! I was a tad bit overwhelmed with seeing all that I had to do for this course but I'm really optimistic and am looking forward to digging deeper into this course. As a future educator, I want to be able to use all of the technologic outlets that a classroom has to offer to make learning more exciting!

There are other classes that I took when I was at Alabama that really helped me with not only my computer, but the programs that it has that I can use to make my life a whole lot easier! One of those classes was CSM 441 and in short, it was a communication class that really dug into Microsoft Office (all of its programs) and how to construct an efficient webpage. Many of the classes were web-enhanced and I have to say that making things web-enhanced makes me a more efficient student! 


Fears of EDM 310
The only fear that I have is my time management, as previously stated. The way for me to address that fear is to make my weekly schedule down to the hours and stick to it. Another way to address this fear is to always keep a positive attitude and an open mind because without positivity, I'd be stuck in a mundane spot in my life. I can't wait to get the ball rolling with this class! 

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,
    First off, congratulations on already obtaining a Bachelor's Degree! That's a big deal.
    The fear you have in this course is also mine. With my full school load and being a full-time employee, I feel myself staying completely overwhelmed. I know this class with be he one to challenge my time-management skills and push me to be more organized. Which, let's be honest, could use some work! Also, like you stated, I believe all these technological advances are our future and I want to be just as aware of them as any other student may be. I also want to include them throughout my classroom because I believe it is just that important. Don't be afraid of this class, though, because, to me, it sounds like you'll be just fine! And on a side note, your writing style is so wonderful and intriguing.
    Thanks for a great read,
    Payton C

    ReplyDelete